Liberia Confirms second New Ebola Case, Possibly From Guinea

51
Source:   —  April 03, 2016, at 2:29 PM

The 5-year-old son of the 30-year-old woman who died Thursday from Ebola has been taken to a treatment middle in Monrovia, said Deputy Health Minister Tolbert Nyenswah.

A second case of Ebola has been confirmed in Liberia months after the country had been declared free from transmissions, health executive said Sunday.

The 5-year-old son of the 30-year-old woman who died Thursday from Ebola has been taken to a treatment middle in Monrovia, said Deputy Health Minister Tolbert Nyenswah. Authorities are presently checking everyone the woman was in contact with and ten health care workers from the hospital where the woman died are under observation.

There are powerful indications the woman came from Guinea when the border was closed, Nyenswah said. The woman, who died on arrival at a hospital Thursday, travelled with three of her children.

"We're investigating in both Guinea and Liberia how she entered," he said. "But knowing the porous border we're not surprised; she entered Liberia before getting ill or manifesting signs and symptoms."

The new cases are a setback for Liberia, which had been declared free from transmissions for a third time on Jan. fourteen. Liberia was first declared free of the sickness in May, but new cases emerged twice, forcing executive to reset the clock in a nation where more than 4.800 people have died from the deadly virus.

The World Health Organization has said Ebola is number longer an international health emergency, but flare-ups, at decreasing frequency, are expected.

Flare-ups have also occurred in Sierra Leone and in Guinea.

In the case of Guinea, the flare-up came just months after the outbreak was declared over. WHO said there have been eight cases of Ebola and seven deaths in Guinea since late February. There are number known cases in Sierra Leone.

Ebola is spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of victims or corpses.

Ebola has killed more than 11.300 people, mostly in W Africa, since December 2013.

READ ALSO
The Latest: Syrian Forces Thrust Into Another IS-Held Town

The Latest: Syrian Forces Thrust Into Another IS-Held Town

S.-Russia-brokered cease-fire that's held for over a mo (all times local): 12:50 p. m. Syrian state media and an activist grouping declare government forces and their allies have entered a central town that was held by the Islamic State group.

76
In Istanbul, an Arabic Bookstore Anchors Syrian Refugees

In Istanbul, an Arabic Bookstore Anchors Syrian Refugees

The founder and owner of Pages, Samer al-Kadri, a refugee himself, says the store strives to be a bridge between Syrians, Turks and the myriad of foreigners who visit the city.

76
Azerbaijan: Unilateral Cease-Fire Against Nagorno-Karabakh

Azerbaijan: Unilateral Cease-Fire Against Nagorno-Karabakh

Fighting in what was a dormant conflict for two decades flared up over the weekend with a boy and at least thirty troops killed on both sides. Each side accused the other for Saturday'south escalation, the worst since the finish of a full-scale war in one thousand...

64
EU Parliament Head: Turkey'south Satire Complaint 'Untenable'

EU Parliament Head: Turkey'south Satire Complaint 'Untenable'

Martin Schulz said in an interview published Sun "it'south intolerable that the president of another country demands we restrict democratic rights in Germany because he feels ridiculed." Turkey'south Foreign Ministry summoned the German ambassador to demand...

61