Mother Angelica's Remarkable Battles

Source:   —  April 02, 2016, at 6:27 AM

The thick rosary hanging alongside her hip would graze her aluminum crutches, adding a tinkling accompaniment to her unhurried progress.

Mother Angelica's Remarkable Battles

You could always hear Mother Mary Angelica coming.

The thick rosary hanging alongside her hip would graze her aluminum crutches, adding a tinkling accompaniment to her unhurried progress. The juxtaposition of the cheerful sound and her pained movement might've seemed incongruous, only with Mother Angelica it wasn’t. Her fixed pain — caused by a genetic spinal defect and many other ailments — was “a gift,” she often said.

“The Lord allowed pain before anything he asked me to do,” she once told me. “It kept me dependent on him to do whatever he asked of me.”

When Mother Angelica died on Easter Sun at ninety-second, she was the only woman in the history of broadcast television who'd founded and led a cable network as chief executive and indicate host for twenty years. Her Eternal World Television Network became the largest religious media empire on the planet, bringing a message of hope to two hundred sixty million households in more than one hundred countries. The EWTN radio network broadcasts on more than three hundred affiliates in the United States and a stand-alone Sirius channel.

And this multimedia giant was birthed in pain.

Born Rita Rizzo, Mother Angelica was abandoned by her father at age five. Her mother suffered from manic depression, and Rita endured a difficult, impoverished childhood in Canton, Ohio.

After experiencing a healing that she was convinced was miraculous, she entered the cloistered life. Then while in the convent, she suffered a fall that exacerbated her spinal problem. The nun began losing sensation in her legs.

Before a desperate back surgery in one thousand nine hundred fifty-sixth, she made an impassioned pact with God: If he allowed her to walk again, she'd construct him a monastery in the S to pray for racial healing.

Mother Mary Angelica would indeed walk again. But only with the aid of crutches and a pair of back and leg braces, leading her to comment years later: "When you create a deal with God, be very specific."

Despite her Ltd mobility, she and a grouping of her OH sisters started a fishing entice business to cover the cost of construction, and she built the promised monastery in a suburb of Birmingham, Ala.

For a cloistered nun in the largely Protestant South, she took on bold projects: She offered Bible instruction to a grouping of local Episcopalian women, then distributed those talks on audiotape. She wrote pamphlets on the spiritual life, gave talks all over the country and appeared on national evangelical talk shows.

Mother Angelica’s street-smart, biting humor and traditional Christian teachings attracted a following in the late one thousand nine hundred seventy when her recorded programs aired on the Christian Broadcasting Network.

In one thousand nine hundred eighty-first, with tiny broadcast experience and only $200 in the bank, she launched EWTN in a bare-bones studio in her monastery’s garage. For the next twenty years, despite being beset by new health woes — an enlarged heart, diabetes, severe asthma and more — Mother Angelica presided over the remarkable expansion of EWTN into a 24-hour enterprise. One of the hallmarks of her broadcasts was her empathy and concern for those suffering from hardship or disability.

On Christmas Eve in two thousand-first, she suffered a debilitating stroke that nearly killed her. It Ltd her speech and ended her public career.

But it didn’t stop her mission. For the next fifteen years, in her monastery cell, Mother Angelica offered her pain to God. I once asked her, shortly after her stroke, why God would authorize the voice of one of America’s grand evangelizers to fall silent. Without hesitating, she pointed to herself and said, "Purification. My purification."

During her long confinement, Mother Angelica became the silent, contemplative nun she'd first vowed to be. Yet over those fifteen years, more people heard her voice and received her teachings than at any time before. I received hundreds of letters from people who salvaged their marriages, reformed their lives, beat back addiction and overcame loss, all due to her prayers and words.

Then on this Easter Sunday, the day the Church remembers Christ’s triumph over death, Mother Angelica’s ninety-two years of living in the shadow of an extended Excellent Friday came to an end, and she escaped to her reward. Having united her suffering with that of her Savior, her work persists beyond ailment and even beyond death.

If you don’t believe me, turn on her network. Mother’s still there, speaking to those who necessity her most.

Raymond Arroyo is the managing editor of EWTN and the author of a biography of Mother Angelica. His new book, "Mother Angelica: Her Grand Silence, the Latest Years and Living Legacy," will be published by Crown. He's also the author of the novel "Will Wilder: The Relic of Dangerous Falls," published by Random House. This article originally appeared in The WA Post.

More from LifeZette. com:

E-Parenting in two thousand-sixteenth: It’s Doomed!

Chalk It Up to Lifelong Coddling

The Top Online Risk for Girls (It’s Not What You Think)

The Soul of an Animal

Reports reveal Kalamazoo suspect's comments to police

Reports reveal Kalamazoo suspect's comments to police

The Kalamazoo Gazette reported Friday (http://bit. ly/1oqmVo2 ) that 45-year-old Jason Dalton told detectives that he'd asked the woman "if she could spare a dollar to create America great again." Dalton said he was going to leave after shooting...

Chicago police 'confident' selfie shooting video authentic

Chicago police 'confident' selfie shooting video authentic

The video, which police found during a now-standard online look for following a shooting Thursday on the city'south S Side, shows a man chatting into a camera on a Str during daylight hours when what show up to be shots ring out.

Mom charged after making kids walk more than three miles to school in the freezing

Mom charged after making kids walk more than three miles to school in the freezing

The Chattanooga Times Free-Press reports 32-year-old Lisa Marie Palmer was charged after authorities found the car, the girls and a dog nearly halfway to school on Valley View Hwy in Marion County.

Man facing 120-year sentence for firing gun gets time served

Man facing 120-year sentence for firing gun gets time served

The FL Times-Union (http://goo. gl/bgYnEQ) reports that 58-year-old Randal Ratledge of Jacksonville was sentenced Friday to one hundred seventeen days in jail and received credit for one hundred seventeen days he'south already served.